Are you ready to take the next step?
Start to develop your voice as a social worker and apply now to earn your Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) online from Virginia Commonwealth University. All applicants must submit three letters of reference, official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate colleges and universities attended, a professional statement of intent, a current resume or vitae, in addition to completing the online application through VCU Graduate Admissions.
The admissions process is rigorous for the M.S.W. program. The application review process includes an evaluation of each applicant across four areas of consideration: educational preparation, work experience, professional statement of intent and recommendations. Admissions decisions are also based on evaluations on compliance with the Technical Standards and Essential Functions for Social Work Students.
How to Apply
Open an application at VCU Graduate Admissions and choose the online M.S.W. program term start that you would like to apply for. Make sure that you have looked at the admission requirements. If you have any questions, you can talk to an enrollment advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (804) 723-6074.
Applicants will be required to respond to three different questions. Each statement should be no more than 500 words. We are looking for your ability to demonstrate your understanding of the social work profession, ethics/values and your suitability for our program. Visit the National Association of Social Workers website to learn more about social work ethics and values as well as the VCU School of Social Work website to learn more about our school’s commitment to social and racial justice. The questions include:
- Identify one value from the NASW code of ethics (e.g. social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, etc.) and how it relates to your desire to complete/acquire an M.S.W. degree. Tip: Refer to the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Please describe your social work career goals. Include the resources and supports available to you to successfully complete the M.S.W. Program and manage challenges that may include the academic rigor of the program as well as the stress that is common to working with intense life experiences of people and communities serviced by social workers.
- The School of Social Work is committed to social and racial justice. We stand against oppresssion of all groups and acknowledge specifically anti-Black racism and white dominance in perpetrating institutional discrimination. (See the school’s commitment statement). Please comment on what these statements mean to you and your desire to be a social worker.
- Detail your social and human services-related work and volunteer experience in the application. Please make sure to list any military, AmeriCorps or Peace Corps experience as well. There is a place to provide additional notes if there is something about your work, volunteer, or educational experience that you would like us to consider.
- Unofficial transcripts from all graduating post-secondary institutions should be uploaded with your online application.
- You will also be required to submit to the VCU admissions office an official transcript from any graduating institution where you have taken a post-secondary class. Transcripts are considered official if they are sent to VCU directly from the issuing institution. Mail them to: Virginia Commonwealth University, Office of Admissions, Box 843051, Richmond, VA 23284-3051
- Three letters of recommendation. Select a cross-section of references, including employers, faculty or other individuals who have evaluated your work and can speak to your academic abilities and/or related paid social work or volunteer experience.
- Applicants will provide details about each recommender with an email address, and an email to the online recommendation form will be sent to the recommender.
Students must have received a ‘B’ or better or pass in their senior field placement. If students are currently in field, then their current field liaison will have to submit an evaluation form on the applicant’s progress in their field placement. Applicants will provide information about their field liaison, and an evaluation form will be emailed to the liaison to complete.
In addition under the statement of intent, Advanced Standing students will be required to upload a response to a case statement (see application for prompt). This response should be typed in a narrative or essay format. We are looking for your ability to demonstrate your understanding of social work ethics, values and commitment to social justice. Your critical thinking skills and ability to analyze the situation are very important. Be sure to answer each question on the prompt thoroughly.
When you submit your application, there will be a $70 non-refundable application fee required to apply for the program.
READY TO GET STARTED ON YOUR ONLINE M.S.W.?
Want to learn more about the program and application process? Get in touch with the form below.