Are you ready to take the next step?
Start to developing your voice as a social worker and apply now to earn your Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) online from Virginia Commonwealth University. All applicants must submit three letters of reference, official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate colleges and universities attended, a professional statement of intent, a current resume or vitae, in addition to completing the online application through VCU Graduate Admissions.
The admissions process is rigorous for the M.S.W. program. The application review process includes an evaluation of each applicant across four areas of consideration: educational preparation, work experience, professional statement of intent and recommendations. Admissions decisions are also based on evaluations on compliance with the Technical Standards and Essential Functions for Social Work Students.
How to Apply
Open an application at VCU Graduate Admissions and choose the online M.S.W. program term start that you would like to apply for. Make sure that you have looked at the admission requirements. If you have any questions, you can talk to an enrollment advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (804) 723-6074.
Please upload your Professional Statement of Intent (900 to 1500 words.) We are looking for your ability to demonstrate your understanding of the social work profession and your suitability for our program. Visit the National Association of Social Workers website to learn more about social work ethics and values. The Statement of Intent should address the following:
- Indicate the academic, professional and life experiences that prepare you for working with socially and economically disadvantaged populations.
- Drawing upon these experiences, describe a social problem that relates to social justice.
- Indicate potential solutions to the problem that incorporate social work values and principles
- Describe your goals in the social work profession.
- Specify the resources and supports available to you to successfully complete the M.S.W. degree program and manage challenges that may include the academic rigor of the program as well as the stress that is common to working with intense life experiences of people and communities served by social workers.
- Resume detailing education, volunteer and employment experiences, including beginning and ending month and year as well as the average hours worked or volunteered per week. Specific roles and responsibilities must be included for each employment and/or volunteer experience included. Work or volunteer experience cannot be considered in your application without this information. Make sure that both volunteer and employment experience are included. Should be clear and detailed.
- Applicants must highlight if their volunteer experience is social work related.
- Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions should be uploaded with your online application.
- You will also be required to submit to the VCU admissions office an official transcript from any institution where you have taken a post-secondary class. Transcripts are considered official if they are sent to VCU directly from the issuing institution. Mail them to: Virginia Commonwealth University, Office of Admissions, Box 843051, Richmond, VA 23284-3051
- Three letters of recommendation. Select a cross-section of references, including employers, faculty or other individuals who have evaluated your work and can speak to your academic abilities and/or related paid social work or volunteer experience.
- Applicants can enter details about each recommender and indicate whether or not they will be submitting recommendations online. Those who will be submitting their recommendations online will receive an email unique to the applicant’s application containing instructions on how to submit their recommendations.
- Recommenders can also mail in their letters of recommendations by downloading the recommendation form, that applicant can email them or it can be found as a downloadable document from the online application
Students must provide a copy of a field placement evaluation(s). If the applicant has not completed a placement but is currently enrolled in field, an evaluation from the field instructor or liaison must be included with the application. Please note that this evaluation may not be utilized as a letter of recommendation.
The field evaluation should be uploaded into the online application as a document.
When you submit your application, there will be a $70 non-refundable application fee required to apply for the program.
All applicants for the advanced standing option who meet minimum admission requirements will have a virtual interview with an admissions reviewer at the School of Social Work. This interview is typically one hour and must be scheduled well in advance. Interview slots are offered on a first-come, first-served basis but are typically scheduled during regular business hours. Advanced Standing applications are not considered complete and will not be reviewed without a completed interview.
Following your interview, applicants will receive a case assessment prompt. This prompt should take approximately one hour to complete. Applicants will have 24 hours after their interview to submit their case assessment. Advanced Standing applications are not considered complete and will not be reviewed without a completed case assessment.
READY TO GET STARTED ON YOUR ONLINE M.S.W.?
Want to learn more about the program and application process? Get in touch with the form below.